Spring Weather Tips
While spring brings the promise of warm weather and longer days, it also brings a variety of conditions that can include heavy rains and severe weather, which can increase your flood risk. Take action to protect yourself, your family, and your business—before a weather event occurs and it’s too late.
April marks the start of the rainy season. Spring storms can bring several inches of rain in only a matter of hours or there can be consistent rainfall for days. These heavy rains can lead to severe flooding by over-saturating the ground, overfilling storm drains, or rivers spilling over their banks.
As one of the most common hazards in the United States, it’s important we prepare for the potential disaster that flooding can cause. Even if you feel you live in a community with a low risk of flooding, remember that anywhere it rains, it can flood. Just because you haven’t experienced a flood in the past, doesn’t mean you won’t in the future.
In order help prepare you for the possibility of a flood, we offer you these tips:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan
- Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home
- Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel in your home if you live in an area that has a high flood risk
- Install check-valves to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home
- Seal basement walls and floor with waterproofing compounds to prevent seepage through cracks
- Always keep your gutters and downspouts clean to allow water to flow freely
- Prepare a flood evacuation plan
- Know how to safely shut-off utilities
- Keep insurance and vital records in a water-proof box
- Have a portable radio to listen for important current information
When your home sustains water damage from flooding, you should call SERVPRO of Stoneham/Wakefield immediately. SERVPRO of Stoneham/Wakefield has the equipment and experience necessary to handle the most challenging water damage and removal situations and we are available around-the-clock. Call us at (781) 245-0011, and we’ll return your home back to normal, "Like it never even happened."