5 Tips for a Flooded Basement
Storm season is upon us! Heavy rain fall can quickly flood your basement and soil your belongings. Flooded basements are common and if it happens to you act quickly. Be prepared for when a flood does occur. You might be scrambling to figure out what to do so here are 5 tips you can do right away!
- Remove water. Remove water as quickly as possible. If your water damage is minor, you can use towels to clean it up. Make sure to wash and dry all cleaning material when finished to prevent mold from growing. A few inches of water can be removed with a wet vac. If you don’t have one, you can always buy, borrow or rent one. If you have severe water damage call SERVPRO.
- Dry it out. Use fans and dehumidifiers to move the air around to prevent mold and mildew. Run your air conditioning constantly and throw out any wet boxes.
- Scrub flooring. If you have tile, linoleum and other hard surfaces you can scrub them with a solution of one cup of chlorine bleach to one gallon of water. Wear rubber gloves!
- Examine and clear gutters. Check the basement steps and drain. Make sure to get rid of any twigs, leaves, and mud.
- Freeze your assets. If any important documents have been damaged by the water, quickly put them in the freezer.